Adults often tell kids winning isn’t important or all that matters is that you do your best. But do adults ever model that to children? Let’s get crazy real in episode 9 about choosing to do things we aren’t good at …and what happened when I decided to participate in my first 5k.
Looking for other episodes of the podcast? You can find all past episodes under the podcast tab above.
What’s in this episode of the Crazy Real, Real Crazy podcast, Amy?
(Listen above by pressing the play button on the little black bar!)
In today’s What the Kids Think segment, my oldest son (14) talks about what summer vacation means as a homeschooler.
(Have your own question you’d like to submit for What the Kids Think? Post it in the comments below or email me at [email protected])
In our main topic segment of today’s episode, I talk about the importance of adults being brave enough to try things for the first time, and to willingly partake in things they’re not an expert in…because little (or at least younger) eyes are watching.
- I did my first 5k. In 45 minutes. Yeah. That’s a story right there.
- I wanted my sons to see me model that it’s okay that I’m not number one. That I don’t win the medal. That I’m not amazing at everything I try.
- Your kids need to know this because it how they learn you’re human. It’s how they learn to deal with things that come up, things they are not good at, or how to handle things outside their comfort zone. It’s by watching how you do it.
- Kids often assume that adults know everything and know how to do everything. It’s mind blowing when we realize they don’t.
- As homeschoolers, it’s really important that you model “failure” and “struggle” because if the only people your kids they’re learning around are their siblings, they might have a skewed vision of how often people fail and struggle (just because the sample size is smaller).
- It’s okay to fail while you’re experiencing new things. It IS an option, it IS an totally okay side effect because it means you tried something new!
Links mentioned in this episode:
CRRC 008: Why Your Kids Need You to be a Green Light Person (and hey, post about your green light summer on social media with #greenlightsummer !)
A Farmish Kind of Life – my other website where you can see how much we are (ahem) learning on our homesteading adventure.
A quote from this episode you might want to write down:
“We tell our kids it’s important they understand they’re not always going to be number one, they’re not always going to be the winner, they’re not always going to be really great at everything they try…but I think the mistake we make is that sometimes as adults we don’t model that for kids.”
Awesome things you can do to help the Crazy Real, Real Crazy podcast grow:
Find all our episodes at the podcast tab above. Listen, enjoy, and share!
You can now subscribe to the Crazy Real, Real Crazy (CRRC) podcast in your favorite podcast players. Check it out!
Subscribe in iTunes
Subscribe in Google Play Music
At your podcast player of choice, you can also rate this podcast or leave a review, and I would super a lot love it if you would! By leaving a review or a rating, it helps others to know what this podcast is all about and whether it’s worth popping in some earbuds to listen to.