CRRC Podcast 007: It’s How You Raise Them…Or Is It? (Nature vs. Nurture)
The Hmmmschooling Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. You can view our full affiliate disclosure here.
Kids act the way they do and make the choices they make because of how they are parented, right? I say yes. I also say no. Let’s get crazy real in episode 7 about a little thing known as nature vs. nurture.
What’s in this episode of the Crazy Real, Real Crazy podcast, Amy?
(Listen above by pressing the play button on the little black bar!)
In today’s What the Kids Think segment, my oldest son (14) answers a listener’s question: do you think it should be required that homeschooled children are tested? His answer wasn’t quite what I expected.
(Have your own question you’d like to submit for What the Kids Think? Post it in the comments below or email me at [email protected])
In our main topic segment of today’s episode, I talk about raising kids within the mystery of nature vs. nurture, and how…
- as parents, we put a lot of effort into guiding our kids on the right path. When it works out, we say “go, me!” but when it doesn’t work out we think, “what did I do wrong?” In reality, sometimes we have nothing to do with it.
- we want to do our best, we want to do it right…but no one knows what the right way is.
- every kid does crazy things—adults do crazy things too, but we look at kids differently because they’re kids.
- we are afraid of what our child’s behavior makes us look like as a parent.
I admit to some super stellar moments in my parenting where I thought the whole world was judging me:
- the time I dragged my screaming angels out of Burger King after their tantrum of epic proportions,
- the time I dislocated my youngest’s elbow,
- the time my half naked child ran away from me and peed in the front yard as the Jehovah’s Witnesses pulled up.
I also discuss:
- that you cannot control your kids—or any other person. You really, really can’t.
- how a batch of puppies can help us learn about nature as it relates to kids,
- how farms and colors can help us understand nurture as it relates to to kids.
A quote from this episode you might want to write down:
“It is a mistake for you to depend on your child’s behavior to validate your worth as a parent.”
Awesome things you can do to help the Crazy Real, Real Crazy podcast grow:
You can now subscribe to the Crazy Real, Real Crazy (CRRC) podcast in your favorite podcast players. Check it out!
Subscribe in iTunes
Subscribe in Google Play Music
At your podcast player of choice, you can also rate this podcast or leave a review, and I would super a lot love it if you would! By leaving a review or a rating, it helps others to know what this podcast is all about and whether it’s worth popping in some earbuds to listen to.